Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dr. marcEL rIjs's LaudAble Notes About totp wh; &hg52

From: dijk@let.rug.nl (B.J. Dijk)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 19:12:19 GMT
Subject: Re: Dr. marcEL rIjs's LaudAble Notes About totp wh; &hg52
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@let.rug.nl (News system at let.rug.nl)

IED asks:
>Btw, what does Voor de Vuist Weg mean?
"Voor de vuist" (which translates literaly, word for word, into "for the fist")
is a Dutch expression meaning "offhand", "improvising". "Voor de vuist spreken"
means "to speak offhand" or "to speak without notes". I remembered this
expression as "voor de vuist _weg_ spreken", but none of the dictionaries in
which I looked it up have the word "weg" as a part of the expression. Maybe
this 'pollution' of the Dutch language was precisely introduced by the
the title of this tv program.

I have only seen parts of this program in those nice retrospectives they show
on Dutch television to remind us that tv was even more boring in the
seventies than it is in these days, and "Voor de vuist weg" fits in nicely
with the other seventies trash (I will probably have to make an exception for
the show that featured Kate Bush, but they did not show that one).

Berend
(not very proficient in English, but working hard on obtaining his masters
in Dutch language and literature)