Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: anAmosity persisting

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 23:25:04 EDT
Subject: Re: anAmosity persisting
To: brady@onramp.net (Jim Brady)
Cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

> Ah, the *bulk* of coincidences in style, voice, album cover, persona
> (this is getting SO EXTREMELY BORING) should lead any fan of either or
> both to conclude and accept and get on with the idea that Tori is a
> really very talented clone.
> Someday she may develop something original, and we'll all be gladly
> waiting, and until then there really, truly is NOTHING ELSE TO SAY !

I enjoy these debates only up to the point where they become actual
Tori-bashing, and then it stops being fun.

Tori is *already* an original, and Kate fans who bash Tori look just
as silly and uninformed as Tori fans who bash Kate.  There are *lots*
of us who love and appreciate both.  Taste is one thing (you don't
*have* to like either one or the other if you truly don't like the
music) but to junk Tori as a Kate clone is obnoxious and insulting.

I get angry at the suggestion (in any form) that there is only
enough room on this planet for one female singer, and that anyone
who follows after is, of course, a clone and a rip/spin-off.  Kate
may be God to some (she is to me) but there are *many* wonderful
female singer/songwriter/musicians, and there's plenty of room
in the world for them all.

We'd all better give this a rest before it gets out of hand.

Vickie