Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Making up lyrics

From: am672@freenet.carleton.ca (David J. Zimmerly)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 06:51:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Making up lyrics
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca (Usenet News Admin)

In a previous article, 100276.2176@compuserve.com (Marcel Rijs) says:

>Being someone who's very into lyrics, I started to think of my own
>lyrical interpretations. I found that I do have a way of turning
>the lyrics toward my own experiences.
>Now, Kate's lyrics are usually printed on the albums, right from
>the start (although I've heard there are versions without lyrics
>available...). I imagine a lot of people start listening to Kate's
>albums by learning the lyrics first... :-)

Well, I don't know about lyric substitution, but I do remember vividly a
bad case of lyric misinterpretation.

The first time I heard "Never Forever" was in late 1980 while I was, um,
somewhat sedated and listening in my headphones while sitting on a rocky
shoreline near Victoria, B.C. in the dead of night.

I recall thinking that the chorus seemed particularly sexually explicit,
even for Kate (ie. "out, in, out, in").  Of course, I soon experienced
acute brain overload when I realized what the song was actually about.
By the end of the epic, I was convinced that I could see a luminous mushroom
cloud rising up over the distant mountains in Washington, signalling an
untimely end to Seattle - talk about grunge. I made it a point to listen
much more carefully to the rest of the album...

Well, you asked.

David

--

There's definitely, definitely, definitely no logic to human behaviour...

                                                           - Bjork