Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Ninth Wave

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 14:30:31 GMT
Subject: The Ninth Wave
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cc.rochester.edu

My housemate and I spent much of last night's CYBERGEN role-playing session
discussing the resurrection of his dance troupe, and (because I brought it
up as a very interesting choreography challenge) The Ninth Wave.  You can
imagine my surprise at the Strange Phenomenon of finding a lengthy
discussion of exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for right here on gaffa.

If gaffans could assist us with this project I'd be most appreciative.  The
concept is this:

* a modern dance/theatrical movement staged performance of the Ninth Wave,
from start to finish

* Kate's original music playing as accompaniment

* possibly snippets of dialogue or scenes in between songs to augment the
storyline

We'd like to give this a narrative flow while simultaneously taking
advantage of the chaotic energy of the piece to make as striking a visual
display as possible.  The information we need is as follows:

1.)  Some idea of the legality of doing this.  This would be a public
performance, open to the University community as well as to the "outside
world".  We would not be charging admission, soliciting donations, or
otherwise garnering a profit.  Kate would be extensively credited in the
program (and her record plugged :)).

2.)  Any ideas, essays, impressions, or other notes about the *story* of the
Ninth Wave, if indeed you perceive one.  This includes settings for the
songs, themes, characters, actions, etc.  What I'm looking for are alternate
interpretations and concrete sequences I can use in synthesizing my own
final holistic view of the piece.  I do definitely have many ideas about
what I envision, but I'd rather incorporate all the good ideas I can than
make it solely my own and risk holes in the narrative because I'm not sure
what to make of a section.

3.)  Any impressions, etc. of the *emotions* and *images* inherent in each
of the songs and subsections.  This information will, of course, be more
subjective than the previous stuff, but you may possibly know something I
don't or have ideas that didn't occur to me.

4.)  Complete lyrics, including transcriptions of the difficult or
foreign-language parts, if possible.  :)

5.)  Anything Kate Herself has said about the Ninth Wave in interviews or
otherwise.  Even the most generalized remarks may help.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Anyone who helps me out will be
gratefully thanked in the program (should this go off, which depends on lots
of things including #1 :)).

And if it happens, I'll tell you all about it.  Who knows?  We might even
have something for the tapetree.

Thanks,
Drew
--