Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "G arrives . . ."

From: bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 94 11:51:33 PST
Subject: Re: "G arrives . . ."
To: uunet.uu.net!love-hounds
Encoding: 1608 Text

Karen L. Newcombe (who hosts a mean Katemas party) writes:

>>It may be of interest to look at the context of the song and the mention
>>of Gurdjieff in "Them Heavy People" on the same album before we jump on the
>>menstrual bandwagon.

>>Gurdjieff was known for his studies of "Strange Phenomenon" and his
>>rather extensive coterie of students all refer to him as "G" in their
>>numerous books, letters and memoirs of their studies with him.

>>Kate is making a coded reference to Gurdjieff, not to having her period.
>>The whole stanza is about premonitions.  Her brief mention of "the
>>punctual blues" does not make the whole song about menstruation any more
>>than a brief mention of swallows makes "Night of the Swallows" about birds.

The most basic explanation of Gurdjieff's philosophy that I've heard stated that
he was interested in building both the body and the mind in ways best suited
to each.  I wouldn't claim that Kate's music is Gurjieffian (yes, I made that
up, I think), but I think that there are many instances of that kind of thought
throughout her music, from "Kite" to "The Sensual World."  And if you look at
the Tour of Life performances, she carries that integration with her.  Look at
the way she imbued each of the songs with physical trappings and physical energy
which in turn give presence to the intellectual and emotional aspects of her
songs.

Kate solved the age old problem of mind/body dualism.  Think what she could do
if she toured again.

Wanting to be a heavy person,

Ben Miller
bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com