Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TEST: Please respond (includes Fruitopia comments)

From: Gary Moore <gmoore@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TEST: Please respond (includes Fruitopia comments)
To: Markku Kolkka <mk59200@cc.tut.fi>
Cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

On Wed, 10 Aug 1994, Markku Kolkka wrote:

>     > If this is what Gen X is supposed to be about, then I must be a
>     > very mature (or immature...) 27 year old.  Ah, well.
>
> Generation X? Wasn't that Billy Idol's first band? Somehow I can't see
> the connection...

You're correct about Generation X being a bad Billy Idol was in.
However, the name "Generation X" has become popular among the news media
and marketing firms for the 20 to 30 year old crowd.  We're supposed to
be dissatisfied, disassociated, and dis-anything from the demographic
groups older and younger than ourselves, but we wield a lot of cash and
credit.  Therefore--and this now is the latest news about Generation
X--everyone is trying to figure out how to market to us.

You can further investigate the culture and the alleged-culture reading
the alt.society.generation-x newsgroup.  It seems like there's another
one, too, but I'm not sure, as I don't really get into spending a lot of
time identifying with the characteristics that are supposed to define my
generation.

 gmoore@u.washington.edu        gary@ssc.com        surreal@eskimo.com
Private insurance pays less than 13% of private medical costs.  In 1965,
before Medicare & Medicaid, health care was 6% of GNP; today it's 15%,
and going up, even though the number of people covered hasn't changed
much.  We need LESS government involvement, not more.