Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fruitopia

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 16:15:01 GMT
Subject: Fruitopia
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

This past Saturday I set my VCR on EP and recorded six hours of
Empty-V in the hopes of catching some of those Furitopia commercials.
Within the first hour I got three of the the nine ads!  Unfortunately,
in the remaining five hours, though, I got not one.  So three will
have to tide me over.  As an extra added bonus, I got every episode of
the second season of *Eon Flux*.  What more could a guy ask for?  I am
very happy.  (I'm still dizzy though from watching six hours of
Emtpy-V on fast forward.)

The music from all three of the ads that I caught were rather
new-agey.  They were definitely Kate though!  Especially number 2.  I
think one of the ads I saw a couple weeks ago was a bit more techno,
but my memory is vague.

Here's a brief description of the music from the ads
I caught:

(1) Mellow echoey piano with a heart-beat drum pattern.

(2) Kate does drum-talk on national TV!  This one was described in the
published article posted here a few days ago as sounding like a
bunch of Japanese school kids.  I guess the author has never heard
drum talk, but this is a dead give-away that these commercials were
done by Kate (or Sheila Chandra, but they don't sound like Sheila).

(3) Mellow band and piano sound with bongos instead of a drum-kit.
Kate sings "la la la" in the background.

Of course, the music for all three is complete genius (for music that
sounds like it was thrown together in a couple of days for a TV
commercial, that is).