Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Crowd Noise/Control

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 17:10:00 EST
Subject: RE: Crowd Noise/Control
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 35 TEXT

]I'm sitting here listening to my cd "This Woman's Live Work"
]on the 'Don't Give Up' track.  Someone please inform me why
]people feel it is necessary to participate (i.e. whistling,
]clapping, yelling)?

 Because the performers like it.  My wife used to say that
 if her band turned up at a gig and everyone in the audience
 just sat there quietly, she felt like packing up and going
 home.  Why bother playing to a live audience if you get no
 response during your performance?

]It's quite annoying.

 It can be, but there is a difference between someone in the
 audience giving something back to the performer, and someone
 just making a lot of noise (e.g. having a discussion about Tori
 while you're trying to listen to Kate - only kidding folks).

]I know the track
]is an audience recording, but you can hear how her powerful
]voice fills the auditorium.  The recorder is surrounded by
]people that make live performances less enjoyable.  Can we
]start an ad campaign like the "No to Drugs" and call it
]"Silence is Golden" or "Shut the Hell Up".
]
]Okay, deep breath, exhale, let it go...  Sometime it just
]doesn't take a whole lot to get angry.
]
]Founder of the "Sounds of Silence Coalition"

 Now if you're talking "Silence in Cinemas", I'm right behind you.
 There's nothing worse than paying a lot of money to sit in a
 cinema and listen to some jerk munching through a cellophane
 packet of 70 decibel potato chips right behind you. AAAAARGH!