Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

interesting oddity

From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 1994 23:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: interesting oddity
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

I'll chime in here to say a big THANK YOU to the perpetrators of the tapetree.
Truly wonderful collection -- it's especially nice to have watchable copies
of most of the stuff I already had, most notably the Christmas special...

Haven't been able to get up the courage to watch the Night Flight interview
yet.  One of these nights when I'm feeling particularly masochistic...

Anyway, the point of my post is this:

Back in June I sent money to the local NPR affiliate (WSHU in Fairfield, CT)
during their broadcast of the Public Radio International (nee American Public
Radio) show Echoes, so I could get the premium: a cassette tape featuring
Peter Gabriel, Philip Glass, David Sylvian, Robert Fripp, and, yes, Kate,
plus a few others I'm blanking on.  I thought it was going to be music and I
sent the station an extra $60 on top of the money I'd sent them in the last
fund drive just to see which Katesong they'd put on the tape, but when it
arrived last week I discovered the tape is actually interviews!  Echoes is a
daily show on PRI, and the producer Kimberly Haas has an interview with a
different artist every day.  (Some of you may be interested to note that the
list of artists profiled also includes Happy Rhodes -- e-mail for more info.)
Well, one day in the relatively recent past she got to interview Kate, and
the result is rather interesting.

Especially interesting is the choice of background music -- Kate's music is in
the background throughout, and at one point while Haas is talking about Kate's
early career, what do we hear but one of the Cathy Demos!!!!!  I think it's
the song called "Snow" in these parts (titles differ depending on the source of
the bootleg).  I would *dearly* love to know where they got that, whose idea
it was to put it there, and what happened after it was broadcast, assuming
someone heard it who was able to inform Kate of what had happened.

Hmmm... Echoes has a net.address.  I think I'll drop them a note right now!

Anyway, one of these years when I'm settled again (moving sucks moving sucks
moving sucks) I'll get around to transcribing the interview, provided this
hasn't happened already (don't think so, but I might have missed something).
If anyone wants a tape copy, send me e-mail, but only if you're a very patient
soul!

Meredith
meth@delphi.com

P.S.  Happy belated Katemas to all... I spent my day moving.  Not the best of
celebrations, but what can you do?