Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Tape Tree, Fruitopia, Kate as God

From: ied0dxm@aol.com (IED0DXM)
Date: 5 Aug 1994 20:18:02 -0400
Subject: re: Tape Tree, Fruitopia, Kate as God
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@aol.net

Millions of thanks to Peter Manchester, Chris Williams and all the others
who worked so hard and well to make the Tape Tree work.  IED loves his
copy, and applauds the fine results of your collaboration.

Thanks to Bob Lovejoy, too, for his hugely appreciated news report about
the Fruitopia campaign!  IED was unfortunately too late reading Bob's
posting to do anything about getting a tape of the spots from Chiat/Day in
time for Karen's fiercely anticipated postKatemas party tomorrow, but
perhaps we will be successful later on.  Meanwhile, IED (and he hopes many
others in this group) will be trying to capture Fruitopia ads on TV in the
coming days.  Did Peter FitzGerald-Morris and the Homeground crew know of
this unexpeKTed turn in Kate's career? Btw, if Kate has been wise enough
to negotiate for residuals on this account, she stands to make more from
the Fruitopia ads than she's ever made from all her album and single sales
combined.

 > From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia)
 > Subject: Re: songs i hate
 > Why do I dislike "You Want Alchemy"?  The chord progression is
 > dreadfully monotonous, the Kate-screech is wasted on the wimpy
 > chorus, and a charming motif is ruined by a lack of interesting
 > treatment.
 > Go to town!
 > -- Drew
 > Andrew D. Simchik,
 > as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu, simchik@cs.rochester.edu

Never!  IED appreciates your explanation. Naturally, he doesn't share your
judgement that the chord progression is monotonous (though it is
repetitious), that the Kate-screech is wasted on the "wimpy" chorus
(though the disharmony between what he prefers to think of as Kate's
impassioned vocal and the [rather "languid" than "wimpy"] chorus is
striking), or that the "perfectly charming motif" (which all will long
since have identified as a quotation of a phrase from Debussy's Clair de
lune) is "ruined by a lack of interesting treatment"  (though he concedes
that the recording is more or less the same from beginning to end).
Nevertheless, your points are instructive and do a lot to explain your
opinion to this hopelessly devout follower of Kate.

IED is so weak as to be unable to resist composing a reply to Peter Blues
Man Paolini's poetic admonitions in like fashion (please forgive him in
advance):

> I love Kate too
   Perhaps you do.
 > Kate's not God
   Oh, yeah? Says who?
 > God's not Kate
   He doesn't rate.
> There's no need too [sic] exacerbate
   Let us instead asseverate (that)
> I'm not her
   Of that we're sure;
   no one will demur
   To concur:
   You are not her;
   And all will agree:
   Nor are you she.
>She's not me
   No, certainly.
   Nor, praise She
   Who Really Be,
   Is she
   I (ED).
> Get a hold of reality
   But "dreams *are* reality,"
   Once said She
   (Who Really Be),
   Our Lady
   Of  B.
   (K.T.)
   Or, to quote freely
   James James
        Morrison Morrison
             Wetherby George Du Pre
             (Who, though he was only three,
              SAID to his mother, said he),

    "You must never go (down)
     To (the end of) town
     Without consulting K.T.!"

--  Andrew Marvick (IED or, "I, the Twee")
     Go to town!