Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: VideoCD

From: mk59200@cc.tut.fi (Markku Kolkka)
Date: 05 Aug 1994 11:44:25 GMT
Subject: Re: VideoCD
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

    > Graham - There was an article in the July 23rd New Scientist
    > which said that some of the latest Video CDs can only be played
    > on CD drives conforming to the new White Book Standard for CD
    > players.
The Amiga CD32 should be able to play both "White Book" and CDi
videoCDs.

    > Compatable Note: The discs will NOT play on a standard audio CD
    > player The discs can only be used on players with Video CD /
    > MPEG capability. [This means CDi, 3DO, Amiga CD32, PC's & Macs
    > with MPEG ability]

    >    So... I suppose you want to now what the vid's are like??
    > WELL SO DO I!!  :-( I've got a Mac Quadra 800 all the RAM and HD
    > space I need. I've got Sparkle v2.1 (for those that don' t know
    > this is an MPEG player for the Mac)
Is this a _hardware_ MPEG decoder? Software decoders aren't fast enough
(although DEC claims a 275MHz Alpha can do it). Also, most software
players can't handle MPEG system (combined audio+video) bitstreams.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@cc.tut.fi