Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Y? Y? Y? Etc!

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 14:31 CDT
Subject: Re: Y? Y? Y? Etc!
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <312g6s$258@tali.hsc.colorado.edu> you write:

>Hi. Just a few things I thought I'd ask...
>
>1. What is "Y Kan't Tori Reed!" like? I can't (kant?) imagine
>her as a punker somehow.... What label was it on? I've asked
>everyone I can think of, and no - one seems to know.

    Lite foamy metal, but still Tori if you squint, especially on the
last three songs on the album, the Ettinne (sp?) Trilogy.

>2 Does anyone like Anna Domino? She's like a very glamorous,
>European version of Jane Siberry (not saying Ms. S ISN'T
>glamorous...). Perhaps you've heard her (Ms. D.)'s song "Tempting"
>..a brilliant statement of inner turmoil.

   Actually, as far as I know, Anna is from New York, and is only on
a European label through the abject stupidity of the US record company
weasels. The song "Tempted" is wonderful, but my all time favorite is
"Lake," a single song that affects me as much as almost any Kate song,
(that is extreamly high praise, especially from this quarter.)

>3. Does anyone like Meredith Monk??? She's like a dada freeform
>jazz version of Laurie Anderson (not saying Ms. A ISN'T dada
>freeform). She (Ms M.) has been around for AGES (since the 60s).

    We saw her in Lawrence Kansas, an amazing cool place that cool
people play, possibly because William Burroghs lives there. She sang
parts of her science fiction work, and some of the statue of liberty
work. We were less than two feet from her two feet, one of which
was in a cast.

>4. I'm new to this board (Well, I haven't been on the Net for
>over a year), so... does everyone here like Jane Siberry and
>Laurie Anderson? Or have I wasted everyone's time with my
>comparisons?

    Jane is one of our (Vickie and I) pantheon of Goddesses.

    Fun Jane fact: Jane sings the theme song on the Family Channels
_Maniac Mansion_, that had previously been sung by the wonderful
Mary Margret O'Hara.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)