Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tapetree aai.com unknown (was Re: tapetree cindy is unknown)

From: dsr@lns598.lns.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 14 Jul 1994 19:47:21 GMT
Subject: Re: Tapetree aai.com unknown (was Re: tapetree cindy is unknown)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9407141228.AA10327@wucs1.wustl.edu>,
rjk1@cs.wustl.edu (Bob Kollmeyer) writes:
Bob> Actually, he got "host not known" just as I would if I sent mail
Bob> off to that address:

If you get "host not known" mailing to that address, then your mailer
is broken.  There is a valid MX record for aai.com, which points to a
valid A record for iue.aai.com, and iue.aai.com is online (though it
refuses finger requests):

****
dsr_lns100% nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=mx
> aai.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
aai.com preference = 0, mail exchanger = iue.aai.com

aai.com nameserver = IUE.AAI.COM
aai.com nameserver = NS2.PSI.NET
iue.aai.com     internet address = 192.190.241.40
NS2.PSI.NET     internet address = 192.35.82.2
****

Any mailer that conforms to the relevant RFCs should have no problems
with that arrangement.

Bob> So, I (and a few others as well apparently) need a numeric ip
Bob> address or a correct spelling or something.

Nope, just a working mailer, and a either little more or a little less
knowledge of how Internet mail works.  If aai.com really doesn't work
for you, you can try iue.aai.com, but you'd be better of getting a
working mailer.

--
-Dan Riley                          Internet: dsr@lns598.tn.cornell.edu
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University     HEPNET/SPAN: lns598::dsr (44630::dsr)