Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori in Chicago 7-9-94! (set lists and notes)

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: 10 Jul 94 13:14:34 GMT
Subject: Tori in Chicago 7-9-94! (set lists and notes)
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: alt.music.ecto, alt.music.alternative.female, alt.music.alternative, rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa, chi.places

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..
Subject: Chicago set lists (both shows)
Cc: rdt@gradient.cis.upenn.edu

Hiya, I'm too tired to really do a write up, but I do have both
set lists typed in. Both shows were, of course, *excellent*!!
We only had tickets to the first show but when we stepped off
the "L" the first person we saw was selling tickets for both
shows at slightly below face value. We couldn't resist, of
course, and I'm so glad we had the money with us. Not only
was the second show better in all respects (and we thought
the first show was pretty damn amazing!) but we had far better
seats *and* the show was longer! *And* we got Bill Miller, who
was cancelled from the first show because that show started an
hour late.

The Bismark (it's possibly spelled Bismarck...that's the way
it is on the tickets and I never noticed until I got home) is
really in the process of being renovated, and they weren't 100%
ready for a concert. The seating arrangement was marked haphazardly,
with numbers written in pen on duct tape, so *everyone* was having
a hard time finding their seats. It didn't help that they didn't
even open the doors until 15 minutes before the concert was supposed
to start. Anyway, when it looked as if 3/4 of the audience was still
outside on the sidewalk at showtime, roadies packed away Bill Miller's
set up and that time was used to get everyone to their seats.

Any inconvenience was well worth the hassle though, because both shows
were fine indeed. The sound system was crystal clear and powerful,
the light show was beautiful (and I didn't get blinded too much after
I learned when to blink) and Tori was in prime vocal form. Plus, both
audiences were *extremely* well-behaved, with lots of enthusiasm and
just the right amount of verbal interaction so as to be entertaining
rather than annoying.

There were scatterings of "I Love You Tori!" and song requests, but
not many, and they quit quickly after a song had begun. Recognition
of songs seemed to come at the very beginning more often than not,
rather than a minute or so into the song. During songs, both audiences
were quiet and respectful. You could have heard a pin drop during both
versions of "Me And A Gun" (and we were in the *balcony* during the
first show) and the very quiet songs "Song For Eric" (1st show) and
"Danny Boy" (2nd show).

The only big spate of song requests came during the second encore of
the second show, and Tori took care of that with "hey, what do ya
think...I'm a jukebox?" and everyone laughed. She then launched into
"Landslide" which was one of the highlights of an evening full of
highlights.

She seemed much more open and talkative during the second show, and even
asked a question that threw everyone for a loop. As she started the
song "Waitress" very quietly and slowly someone yelled out "Kill the
bitch Tori!" which shocked me but Tori laughed and tried to continue
singing, but instead she stopped and said "now what if I were in prison for
five to ten years and were getting a broomstick up the butt? Would you
still bring me cookies?" and right back into the song she went. It's the
kind of thing that is shocking to see on the printed page, but when it's
Tori saying it, she makes it sound as if it's the most natural response
in the world :)

Ok, I know I said I wasn't going to do a write-up, but I had to tell you
about those things :).

Here are the setlists for both shows:

Tori Amos live
Bismark Theater
Chicago, Illinois

July 9, 1994

Show #1  (7:00pm)                   Show #2  (10:30pm)

American Pie (edit)                 ? (I'm embarassed I don't know)
Smells Like Teen Spirit             Space Dog
Precious Things                     Leather
Happy Phanton                       Crucify
Icicle                              Pretty Good Year
Crucify                             Precious Things
God                                 God
Silent All These Years              Silent All These Years
Waitress                            Waitress
Bells For Her                       Angie
Me And A Gun                        Me And A Gun
Baker Baker                         Bells For Her

1st encore:                         1st encore:
Cornflake Girl                      Cornflake Girl
A Case Of You                       American Pie (edit)
                                    Smells Like Teen Spirit
2nd encore:
Winter                              2nd encore:
Song For Eric                       China
                                    Landslide

                                    3rd encore:
                                    Flying Dutchman
                                    Happy Phantom
                                    Danny Boy

We saw Tori as she was leaving the theater via the alley after the
second show, but didn't get to talk to her. She waved and said
hi to the crowd, then got into her limo and was whisked away. I
didn't get to ask her if she was given the Happy Rhodes CD (II)
that I gave to the stage manager to give her. It's become a sort
of "tradition" for me to give her Happy CDs every time I see her.
Next time it will be "RhodeSongs" and then I'll be all out of CDs
until Happy releases another album :-).

"Next time" will almost certainly be the Kansas City show. Barring
unforseen circumstances, Chris and I plan on going down there to see
Tori the 19th and Sarah McLachlan the 21st. I can't wait!

Vickie