Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Copyright

From: pptjc@vaxk.bton.ac.uk (It's in the trees... It's coming...)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 15:04:37 GMT
Subject: Re: Copyright
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

In article <Crp87D.686@nntpa.cb.att.com>, nrc@cbemx.cb.att.com ( N. Richard Caldwell) writes:

>In article <01HDQCHHUILO9209SC@delphi.com>, METH@delphi.com (Suspended In Duct Tape) writes:
>
>> Ah, it's a sad day when Internet folk are worried about copyright
>> infringement.
>> ;>
>
>Actually the whole net.culture may be in for a big wake-up call.  The
>Internet is becoming a hot topic and is getting more and more
>accessable to the average person.  This isn't a private club anymore.
>

>Richard Caldwell

Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) adds:

Hmmm... Yes, this is a big problem and one that can only get worse as
computers now all have sound sampling abilities and plug-in cards to allow
frames and even full motion video to be grabbed is becoming cheap enough
for Joe Public to buy. At present the copyright situation is a shambles.
It costs a fortune to get permission to use anything and you need more than
just one license (one to copy, one to perform (or playback at a live event),
one to broadcast/ distribute). To make matters worse the different bodies
in control of the licensing give conflicting advice. I am involved in a
television society at the University and we have had major headaches from
trying to come to an arrangement regarding broadcasting and copyright.

If the bodies concerned wish to protect the interests of the owners of
intellectual property they will have to get organized because they are no
longer just dealing with rich broadcast companies with copyright legal
departments who can pick their way though the mess.