Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Big Time Typo!

From: dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu (Derek Langsford)
Date: 23 Jun 1994 15:59:44 GMT
Subject: Re: Big Time Typo!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Mike Mendelson (MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: I have no idea whether this has been mentioned yet, but
: yesterday I finally found and, rather hesitantly, plunked down
: my 22 petuties for 2 CD5s that contain 1, perhaps 2 at best,
: songs I've never heard... that's right Red Shoes 1 and 2.
: But is this a collector's item, or what?

I'm not sure it will be.  Virgin in the UK were selling Part 1 for 99p.
It was a non-returnable stock item that they wanted to get rid of.

I understand your hesitation.  The cost-benefit analysis of this two part
CD5 came very close to being negative for me.

: But *why* oh *why*
: he cried, joining in the chorus of laments, *why* are they
: putting songs from old albums on CD5's?  At *least* Cloudbusting
: is the video mix, which if I'm not mistaken, was on the legendary
: IED/Derek(?) list of stuff that *should* be in the boxset,
: so that is good.  But The Big Sky????  TWW???  Like I don't have
: 5 copies of these songs on 5 other CDs in my collection yet
: (esp. TWW!!!!).  It's an insult to our intelligence.
: But I bought'm anyways.   :-)
: -mjm

The video mix of Cloudbusting was on the suggested track listings for
the Boxed set that IED and I sent to EMI all those years ago.  We put
everything that could be put on CD in to that letter.  I don't think
we were even met half way :-(

I wonder if EMI are putting previously successful Kate singles that have
not had a CD single release to entice new fans?  It is incredibly
frustrating for the loyal crowd when there is material available
that still hasn't seen CD.  I especially want MWtCiHE single mix (with the
"He's here" spoken intro) and Dreamtime.

Unless there's another CD single from TRS, Europe is without the
full extended mix of ETM.  They could have put this and the MOP
instrumental on the TRS singles and I would have been happier.

No one responded to my enquiry about TBS.  It is not the album mix!
Is it the single mix?  I forgot to dig out my TWS to check that.  Can
anyone tell off the top of their head?

I'm not sure how much longer I am prepared to be insulted by EMI.
I have better things to spend $20+ on than a couple of songs.
It feels rather sad to say that.  I think my enthusiasm for Kate
is waning :-(

Derek
Derek H. Langsford                                            Dept. of Biology
dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu                           San Diego State University