Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Butterfly Kisses

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 1994 15:15:50 GMT
Subject: Butterfly Kisses
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

I picked up the "Butterfly Kisses" bootleg about a year ago and am very
happy with it. It's got a couple of gems on it, and a few curiosities that
I'm happy to have heard but don't care to listen to very much.

GEMS:
	A live, or demo, or whatever version of "Under the Ivy" that is
pretty much like the released version, but maybe it seems a little more
intimate because it sounds less polished, less fully produced.

	"Breathing" performed alone on keyboard from the Secret Policeman's
Ball (one of them)  is fabulous.  I wish that Kate would accept the idea
that plenty of her fans would be insanely happy if she were to do a simple
tour alone with her piano and sing 60 minutes worth of her music.  I, for
one, could gladly do without the bat costumes and otherworldly ballerinas.

	"Wedding List" from the Prince's Trust is a good live recording of
the song --pretty close to the original, but with some nice harmonica added.

	"In the Warm Room" live, from I know not where is not on my live
London recording, so it's an addition to my "library" of her tracks.

CURIOSITIES:
	"Do Bears" --a comic duet with Rowan Atkinson, also friom the
Policeman's Ball, is good fun.

	Two Beatles covers: "Winding Road" and "She's Leaving Home" (!) I'm
not sure where they're from, but they sure are curious.  I don't think
they're very good, Kate's voice coming off prety thin and kinda corny, but
who wouldn't be curious to hear them?

There are various other live renditions of early songs, all of which I have
on the London recording, so I don't really notice them much, but they fill
out the time pleasantly enough.

QUALITY: The quality of the sound is really very good for the most part,
especially on the "gems" that I mentioned. The only drawback, which is very
irritating, is that the tracks cut off and on very abruptly during the
applause on most tracks ---there's no gentle lead in of rising applause, or
fading out --the music's all there, but they coud have made the listening
experience a little more pleasant by fading in and out.

On the whole, I have been very happy with the purchase.
Hope these notes help you out.

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt