Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Burning Desire and Hammersmith Odeon

From: uli@zoodle.RoBIN.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 00:56:00 +0200
Subject: Re: Burning Desire and Hammersmith Odeon
To: RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU
Cc: LOVE-HOUNDS@uunet.UU.NET

Hi Aaron,

> Does anyone really know why Kate only released a Video of the Hammersmith
> Odeon concert and not a live recording?  It seems like as an artist who
> never tours, Kate would try to fill our needs for live recordings (yeah,
> right...) and put out a live album of this concert.

Well, there is no more live material recorded in a quality that would suffice
to meet Kate's standards. Except of course the 4 track EP that is also
availlable.

> It would be nice if she did something like Oingo Boingo and put out an album
> of in studio 'live' tracks. That way she wouldn't have to travel to satisfy
> our lust for live music.

Who won't love it? :-/

> I have 'Burning Desire' and wonder how it compairs to other boots of her
> Concert.

Burning Desire is one of (at least) 6 'different' CD bootlegs of the Hammersmith
soundtrack. Sound quality of all of these is quite good, though not all of
them get the best out of the recording (which would be a digital copy of the
Japanese LaserDisc).

All other bootleg recordings of her tour are extremly bad wrt sound quality.
Audience recordings with 1979 equipment. There are quite a lot of them, though
all of them only on vinyl (or tapes), not a single one on CD (which might be
due to the bad sound quality - bootlegger companies nowadays have pretty high
standards).

Other sources of Kate bootlegs are almost in all cases TV appearances. Be it
the complete '79 BBC Christmas Special 'Kate' (none of these in a sound quality
that 'just now' seems to be possible ;-) ), be it other appearances that sometimes
are even lip synced (and therefore 'completely uninteresting'.

The next source of Kate boots are of course rare official releases. The TWW
clone++, The Can, and Back Sides are examples of these.

Last but not least (the opposite is true) there are the home demo recordings which
form another set of bootleg source material. Sound quality is not good, but still
way better than the audience recordings from her tour.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Mann, was glaubst'n Du, was das fuer 'ne Rechenleistung is?" - "'n 66'er,
_mindestens_" (2*anon, CeBIT '94, SGI booth, Onyx/PowerChallenge presentation)