Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Summer 1994 Tapetree

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 1994 02:15:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Summer 1994 Tapetree
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

DRAW A CROSS

       It falls to me as fate or destiny to make the following preliminary
announcement of the Summer 1994 lh/gaffa Tapetree.  This first announcement
is to solicit love-hounds/gaffans who would be willing and able to
participate as generators of second-generation `leaves', which will be
needed if interest in this new video compilation turns out to be large.

AND A CURVE

       It definitely brought a smile to hear from Chris Williams a couple of
weeks ago:

>    I have edited one whole new 2-hour tape this evening from some amazing new
> copies of various Kate stuff. The crown jewel is a *first generation* copy of
> the Christmas show! Also I have traded some time with a huge ad company and I
> was able to use their broadcast standards conversion room. So I was able to
> copy directly from 1/2" to 3/4" to make the tapes.

Those of us who were here for the `Aspel' tapetree of summer 1993 are aware
that while the main features of the tapetree--Kate's lip-synch of "Moments of
Pleasure" on "Ask Aspel," together with the b&w white video for "Rocket Man"
produced for the 1992 BMI music awards show--came through as promised, time
pressure led to a significant disappointment:  a defective PAL->NTSC
translation of the 1979 `Christmas Show'.  Chris has wanted to redeem that
botch ever since, and I share his enthusiasm in being now able to do so.

       So, after a prime new conversion of the Christmas Show (the version
shown at the Konvention was the first I'd seen in which the animated hand
gestures that begin the hour were presented intact; all circulating versions
heretofore have missed several seconds), the obvious question to Chris is, "OK:
what else?!"

>    I'll type up a list soon. I want to make a dub and sent it to Andy
> first so he can check the information (titles and TV shows) for
> accuracy.

       Fair enough.  Let's try to get as much of it right as we can.

AND A LINE

       This line is your path.

       I am all packed up to be Gone for the next two weeks.  But Tom Estes in
Davis, California, is all geared up to make Topdub copies from the S-VHS master
that Chris has prepared, from which second-generation Subdub copies can be
generated for Leaves on the Tree.

       It is too soon for those of us who are simply end-copy Leaves to make
arrangements for participating in the Summer 1994 Tapetree.  This message is
directed mainly to any love-hounds/gaffans who are able to receive VHS hifi
dubs from the S-VHS submasters and make second-generation copies for tapetree
Leaves.  A few of the Seven Samurai subdubs from last year have already
notified Tom Estes that they are available again this summer, but we probably
need some new ones.

       If you are willing and available to participate in this new tapetree
as a subdub person for a finite and managable set of Leaves, please notify:

       Tom Estes (sztestes@othello.ucdavis.edu)

or me:

       Peter Manchester (pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

       Tom is ready and able to make tape available to subdub stations right
now, and through Sunday, June 19.  I take over as topdub station from then
until Katemas.  We especially need to hear from folks in Canada, Australia and
New Zealand who would be able to distribute PAL versions of this summer's
tapetree.

WHAT TO DO

       If you are simply one of us in the newsgroup who would like to get a
copy of this summer's tapetree, hold off for now.  At this point we need to
identify people who are able to make copies at the second generation level for
the whole newgroup.

       Those of us who are ready and able to work with Tom Estes now, write to
him at the address supplied above.

       Those of us who wish to participate and are available between June 20 and
Katemas, write to me.

       One way or another, we can get you what you want.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Eat the Music!"                        pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com