Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hey, I want alchemy, too!

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 27 May 94 17:31:59 PDT
Subject: Hey, I want alchemy, too!
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Well, |>oug compared "You Want Alchemy" to the "Purple Rain", as done
by Prince as he was known back then.

When I first heard YWA, I thought "Eh - nice shrieking, but uninspiring".
But after reading |>oug's analysis, y'know, he's right - it DOES sound
like Purple Rain.  That's where his and my opinions end, though.

You see, Purple Rain has always been my favorite Prince song (or it was,
until I made the mistake of seeing the film of that name - yucko!  P'tewie!
It's about as bad as a film can get without actually having Christopher
Lambert in it!)

But anyway, after listing to YWA with that in mind, hey, I really really
like it now!  OK, it's not GREAT, but it's up there.  This is the first
time a Lovehound's opinion has influenced MY opinion on a song (for
example, I really LIKE "Reaching Out", and will take on anyone who says
I'm wrong!)

For those who would accuse me of liking ANYTHING with Kate's name stamped
on it, no - I still can't listen to the remix of Eat The Music without
falling asleep (though I quite like the album version, thanks to The Line
The Cross & The Curve), but I can now listen to Why Should I Love You
without throwing up.  (Something I couldn't do 'til recently - I still
hate that song, however).

- Stev0 the Alchemist

"Be kind to her mistakes, show a little devotion, and walk straight down
 the middle.  Boy, is Kate bossy, or what?" - Me