Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The SOS interview

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 23:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: The SOS interview
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Fiona McQuarrie <fmcquarr@upei.ca> writes:

> Thanks to Peter M. for posting that interview with Del. My question is,
> if he (Del) knows all this technical stuff, why have all of Kate's
> recent records sounded so flat and empty? I still think she needs an
> outside producer to help her.

Well, I agree, and that's why I look forward to any new comments Mr. Drukman
may have on the topic.

       Consider some of Del's remarks on Kate's vocal sound:  "Basically,
it's all down to an overdose of compression..."; "We use a small amount of
gating so you'll get the sound of the room and then it cuts off--a bit like
the Phil Collins drum sound."; "I have to say that from a purely technical
standpoint, it's really badly done, there's just so much compression on
everything..."; "I always try to keep the Quantec for the vocals because it
has a very cold, icy kind of sound that works well with that very cold vocal
sound...".   Fiona's words are extremely well chosen:  "flat" is precisely
what you get from tons and tons of compression; and "empty" is exactly the
effect of cutting away the room ambience.

       As someone with very little experience with studio experience ('way
back in the 60s, and I bailed out when 16-track came in, because of the way
it was being used and the microphone techniques that accompanied it), the
most amazing of Del's remarks was this one--speaking of when they first set
up to go digital:  "We weren't really sure whether it was going to work or
not--we were kind of thinking that without tape compression we may not get
the same drum sounds...".  Huh?!  By "tape compression" he presumably means
the clipping of transients due to the limited dynamic range of analogue tape.
There are better and worse ways for this to exhibit itself--better is simply
a dulling down of the impact or punch aspect of the percussive `hit'; worse
is audible splattering of the leading edge of the sound.  But surely neither
is a sound one would relish, and not want to part with!?

       Thing is, I want to stipulate that I found Del Palmer enormously
likeable at the Convention, and that moreover he is giving Kate Bush the
sounds *she* wants for her creative palette.  It is very significant, I
think, that the Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" was so influential in setting
her `ear' for music as performed recording.  I find that the most artificial,
in the sense of studio-dependent, of all their recordings.  In this area, as
in her reluctance to tour--or even, apparently, to really jam with other
musicians `off the record'--Kate is doing what she wants.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Eat the Music!"                        pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com