Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: SOS `Del Palmer: The Red Shoes Sessions' [LONG]

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 19 May 94 20:57 CDT
Subject: Re: SOS `Del Palmer: The Red Shoes Sessions' [LONG]
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>FROM:  Sound on Sound (Europe's No. 1 High-Tech Music Recording Magazine)
>       Volume 9, Issue 2 (December 1993), pp. 52-57.
>
>Del Palmer
>THE RED SHOES SESSIONS
>
>[Sidebar] There's been a lot of publicity about Kate Bush's new album, _The
>Red Shoes_; RICHARD BUSKIN goes behind the scenes with engineer/producer Del
>Palmer to discover exactly how the album was recorded, and how pop's most
>enigmatic lady really works.
>
>                              THAT VOCAL SOUND
>
>The trademark Kate Bush sound that has been developed over the course of the
>last four albums owes a lot not only to the pulsating, highly atmospheric,
>slightly discordant noises that seem to emanate from every direction, but
>also her own unique vocal style, with its breathy delivery and haunting
>presence.
>
>       "I can't take any credit for Kate's vocal sound," admits Palmer,
>"because it was originally shown to me by an engineer called Paul Arden who
>taught me so much.  He would explain anything that I asked him about.  One
>day he couldn't make a session, so he said, `Why don't you do it?'  So I did,
>and he showed me how to get the sound which they had started using on The
>Dreaming.  Kate loved it, and ever since then we've been using it.

   This indicates that this interview was taped and transcribed. As far
as I know, Kate has never worked with an engineer named Paul "Arden"
but *has* worked with an engineer named Paul Hardiman on _Hounds Of
Love_.

>       One of the distinguishing aspects of tracks such as `Rubberband Girl'
>and `Big Stripey Lie' is the pumping five-string bass sound, courtesy of John
>Gidman playing in the recording area <??Disparity Alert>.  His G&K amp was
>placed in the studio kitchen (for separation from the drums) and miked with
>an Electrovoice RE20.

    Here is another one. Kate hasn't worked with a bass player named
John "Gidman" but *has* worked with John Giblin (on _Breathing_.)
These may be Peter's transcription errors, but as I didn't notice any
other spelling errors, I doubt it. The errors were probably introduced
by the original transcriber of the interview tape. So I wouldn't take
this as the most accurate of interviews.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)