Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why WH?

From: larryh@infi.net (Larry Hufstedler)
Date: 19 May 1994 23:58:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Why WH?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Fiona McQuarrie (fmcquarr@upei.ca) wrote:

: I can appreciate what Kate has said about wanting to redo the vocal
: so it doesn't sound like a "girl" singing it. In terms of the character

 It seems that if something is gained, something is lost. I fell in love
with the youthful qualities of Kate's earlier work. She has become a better
vocalist in many ways, but something of the angelic quality has diminished.

  Same with Joni Mitchel. Although I would extend it to Mitchel's
compositional style. I liked it better when she didn't know music theory.
Her sweet youthful voice and no rules of harmony to get in the way of simple
beauty.

 DGMW, I love it all.

 Big thanks to all the love-hounds for the good reading, and for turning a
10 year Kate fan on to Tori Amos. She won't replace Kate, but she fits nice
on the shelf beside her, and in my heart.

--
 larryh@infi.net