Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Controversy (Prince on TRS?)

From: Mike.Gallaher@msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher)
Date: Wed, 18 May 94 10:57:24 CDT
Subject: Controversy (Prince on TRS?)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Brian Dillard <dillardb@student.msu.edu> says:
> [Mike Gallaher] said constellation of the heart sounded
> prince-esque. i dont really agree, except insofar as prince is quite
> all-encompassing in his mastery of various rock,funk and pop sounds.

  It struck me as being Princely at first, but now that I think about it,
many of the relevant elements (the beat, the large bang of backing vocals)
have predecessors in Kate's music as well, so it sounds much less Prince-like
these days.  Initially, though, I was struck by the use of the heart symbol
in the lyrics, which is stereotypical of Prince.  Maybe it was just that I
was pessimistically expecting a *lot* of Prince on TRS, and saw evidence
where it wasn't warranted (as I stated in my previous post, there was
advance word, perhaps untrue, that Prince had worked on 3 or 4 songs).
  I disagree with Brian on YWA replacing Eat the Music.  We can infer that
Kate really likes EtM, and I think she is justified in that.  EtM is
a tasty alternative to techno, with invigorating and stimulating food/sex
imagery.  I'd much rather have YWA on the CD than You're the One, though!
  Can anyone refute Andy Semple's speculation that Gaumont D'Olivera may
be Prince?  If so, that means he played bass on The Red Shoes and drums
(a-ha!  G D'O is a multi-instumentalist, as is Prince...) on Big Stripey
Lie, as well as lotsa instruments on Why Should I Love You.  BSL has a
Prince-like beat, as well as guitars (yeah, I know Kate's credited with
guitar work.  Strange that this is the first we've heard of her playing
guitar, though, and that it should have this kind of sound.  Slightly
suspicious, IMO).
  This is weird...I start by pooh-poohing the notion that Prince infiltrated
TRS to a greater degree than credited, and I begin to sway my own opinions.
Anyway, BSL fits the collaboration scenario fairly well: I could imagine
taking Prince's basic drum/guitar tracks and at the last minute adding
a few parts: vocals, her plunky bass, Nigel's violin, and some of her own
synth & guitars...  That drum ending is certainly easily imaginable as
part of a Prince backing track, and there's not a whole lot of musical
meat (that is, elaborate chord changes and detailed instrumental work)
in the song.  Yes, I can easily see Kate taking a simple, funky Prince
background and coming up with this (should this be true, will it dash
the spirits of all of you that see BSL as Kate's only masterpiece on
TRS?)
Mike Gallaher                        "It was just a f***ing sliver,
(205)544-1447                         with one star right next to it!"
MSFC/ED13                                     -- Kelly May