Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You Want Alchemy question

From: Mike.Gallaher@msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 08:02:19 CDT
Subject: You Want Alchemy question
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

	I agree that "You Want Alchemy" is a great song.  It's perhaps
the only one of Kate's songs for which I've felt that "This song is about
me" kind of empathy, so I banaged to grasp the hidden depths of this one
much more quickly than I have her other songs.  I assume it was left off
the album due to its slightly subpar production qualities.
	When TRS was released, there was much speculation and argument
about how much Prince had contributed.  I recall someone who claimed to
have access to ASCAP records that indicated he was credited for co-writing
more than one song.  This guy lost credibility when he claimed to hear
Prince singing and playing guitar and at least four tracks on the album
(so I chalked this up as a Prince fan that assumed any particularly
creative sound must surely be a Prince contribution, not that of the
pretty girl singer; after all, Prince has a history of doing all the
hard work to give pretty girls singers hit songs.).  Still, there was no
denying a similarity to the Prince "sound" in "Constellation of the
>heart symbol<" as well as in RBG, to a lesser extent.  It's hard to
believe that Kate would not provide credits where legitimate, though, so
I postulated that this was either a case of indirect influence, or, at
most, a case in which Prince did supply some tracks (a la "Why Should I
Love You") which were ultimately not used on the record.
	So now we have "Alchemy," and again there's some Prince-like
qualities in the concluding portion of the song.  But we have no credits
on this track.  Is this one of the rumored "other Prince collaborations?"
Opinions, anyone?

Mike Gallaher               "I can't think of any reason why not."
(205)-544-1447                                 -- Kelly May
ED13/MSFC