Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RUTH, X4, Del, Kon

From: KonvenTion_Fan <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 15:45:47 EDT
Subject: RUTH, X4, Del, Kon
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

[Subject: Re: TSF video, thanks, TLTCTC]

Scott Telford writes:

> vickie@pilot.njin.net (KonvenTion_Fan) writes:
>> interesting things we noticed was that RUTH had a different
>> ending from the one we've always seen before.

> Yes, I noticed the different ending to RutH when I saw TLTCTC at the
> Edinburgh UCI last Tuesday.

Interesting. I wonder when and why the ending was changed. Peter? I
forgot to ask you about it. Had you heard anything?

> Also, I think the Experiment IV video was also slightly different
> around the point where the "sound siren" turns into the "sound demon".

Now that you mention it, I remember doing a double-take at that point,
but I couldn't think then, or now, what exactly was different about it.
We had thought about going again on Monday, the last night it played,
but we got caught up in something else. Mark Semich went Monday, and said
that there were only 4 people in the audience that showing.

> The Love & Anger video was the regular one, without the "convulsion".

One of the great unanswered Kate questions...why take out the spazz attack?
(Along with...why re-edit "Be Kind To My Mistakes" for re-release?)

> Although all the promo videos (but not TLTCTC) were film transfers
> of video, they looked much better than on VHS tape - first time I
> noticed the Experiment IV singles on the counter inside the Music
> for Pleasure shop!

We were looking forward to seeing the videos (well, especially Cloudbusting)
on film, but we're not complaining. I'd seen the singles in X4 before, but
it's true that they were especially visible on the big screen. We also
noticed PDFM walking down the hall for the first time. Yikes! How could
we have missed that??  There's so much to said about seeing certain things
in the theater if a person has the chance. I'm glad we had the chance.

>> a different ending for that video. It's unfortunate, but there were only
>> 9 people total in the 230-seat theater. At the KonvenTion, I chatted with
>> Del Palmer about the film, and he seemed to think that it might very well

> Arrgghh! You met Del! Don't suppose he gave any hints on the current
> status of his relationship with Kate? (he asks pruriently 8-)

:-) Nah, I didn't ask him. We talked a bit about Happy Rhodes (she had just
been played on the main sound system, and I gave him a sampler tape) and
about the film. I told him that we had seen it in the theater, told him
how much we enjoyed it and how sorry we were that there were only 9 people
there. I also told him that all the ticket stubs said "The Lion, The Cross,
and The Curve" :-) and asked about a general or limited theater release
in America (besides the showings that have been held already) and he said
the chances were practically nil, but that there was no worry, because it
was soon to be released on video. In America? I asked. I believe he said
"very likely" though my brain was addled and I don't want to put direct
quotes into his mouth.

Del was very, very friendly and was in a place where anyone could go up
and talk to him. I think he really likes the interaction with the fans.
He told me that he likes going to these gatherings because he meets so
many people and sees so many familiar faces.

I spent more time running around the parameters meeting and talking to
people than I did watching the stage. As a result, I missed most of the
live performances and the quiz, and much of the auction, but I met and
talked to Del, Lisa (from the KBC), Debi Bowes (the wonderful artist
who contributes to Homeground and to Take To The Sky, the UK Tori fanzine),
all the Take To The Sky folks (what a *gorgeous* fanzine!), not to mention
Peter, Krys, Dave Cross, Pami and lots of other wonderful people. I was
able to hang around other Love-Hounders who couldn't make it down to where
all the other LHers were, such as Steve Fagg, Stephen Thomas, Alanna (who
did get her Kool-Aid & Cap't Crunch, though we forgot grape) and probably
others that I'm sorry I'm forgetting.

I avidly watched all the rare video stuff, including the Top 20 countdown,
the Canadian interview and most of TLTCTC. I found a great place to watch
the stuff I wanted to watch. It was an area behind the stage that was open,
but practically empty. Most people thought the "place to be" was in front
of the stage, but the cool thing was that you could see the video just as
well, and far more comfortably, behind the screen. The video was reversed,
but it hardly mattered, really. It still *looked* better, because all the
ambient light was in front of the stage. The extra darkness from behind
made the images sharper and clearer. Chris and I watched most of TLTCTC
from back there, stretched out. I had to bring Chris back there to show
him how nice it was. I don't know if anyone else would have come if I'd
tried to explain it. "What?? Behind the screen? Are you crazy?" :-)

(CYA time)
Just so it's clear, the area was *not* closed off to conventioners. I don't
want anyone to think that we were in an area that we weren't supposed to
be in. Anyone could have gone back there, it's just that very few did.

If there was one problem with being back there, it's that I really only
saw Kate's back while she was on stage. My plan was to take photos of
the screen while she was there, but when she came out I was just as
excited as everyone else and went over to the rail to see her in rl.
I was going to take some rl photos, then go back behind the screen for
the "close ups" but before I knew it, Kate was finished and gone. :-(
As far as the photos go, it ended up not mattering anyway, since I lost
the bag that had the camera in it. Chris had a camera too, but somehow
none of those photos came out. Boo hoo, we came away from the KonvenTion
without any photos, so memories will have to suffice. We should have
brought 3 or 4 cameras, but who knew? You'd think 2 would've been enough :-)

Ah, I'm rambling...I didn't start out to make this "yet another convention
report" (sorry, but why did it seem like people were sick of hearing about
the Kon after only a few posts?).

We had a great time.

eikciv