Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What Kate Should Do

From: ariefbud@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Arief Budiwidayanto)
Date: 9 May 1994 22:59:50 GMT
Subject: Re: What Kate Should Do
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.05.9405081736.A6416-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>, fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) says:

>Sorry, I couldn't lift bits out of the message that inspired this, but...
>a previous poster asked rhetorically what promotion Kate should be
>expected to do - CD signings, tours, interviews.
>
>Well, uh....yes. The sales patterns for TRS (in Canada at least) showed
>very clearly that the album sold to a bunch of fanatics (who ? ;) who
>snapped it up as soon as it came out, after which it did almost nothing
>thanks to the lack of a hit single....and, I would add, the lack of
>promotional effort on Kate's part.

So far, it's OK......

>If she wants to expand her fan base beyond a devoted following, she NEEDS
>to do, as Chris Williams has pointed out, pretty much what Tori Amos
>does, and that is "work the system". (The Kate-Tori comparison is valid
>to illustrate the differences in their promotional styles.) Yes, doing
>interviews and tours and record store appearances is draining and boring
>and unpleasant - but it pays off in more sales and more future purchasers
>of your work.

Who says Kate wants to expand her fan base? And who are you to tell her
what she should and should not do? Kate's been in the  music industry for
more than 15 years and her music has been critically acclaimed and admired.
And you.....? Ooops, sorry.......
Please don't offer unsolicited advice anymore, OK?! She knows what's good
and bad for herself.

I mentioned in my other article that Kate formed her own publishing and
management company because she was frustrated by the interruptions to do
promotional work. She  wanted a complete control of everything related to her
work, even her album's cover arts  (remember the case of Kick Inside covers?).
I read somewhere lately (I think in NY Times) that she's actually reluctant to
promote TRS in Tower not long ago.
She doesn't want worldwide recognition by being a pop product. A bunch of cult
followers and fans are already enough for her. So please don't compare her
marketing with Tori's anymore. I'm getting tired of this (and I guess Tori fans
are too, when people compare Tori with Kate musically).

>Cheers, Fiona

>Fiona McQuarrie                             fmcquarr@atlas.cs.upei.ca
>           School of Business, University of Prince Edward Island
>
>I'm putting the aerial up, so I can go out on the air....
>                          Peter Gabriel, "On the Air"

I got it now. I think it's because you go to business school then you discuss
everything in terms of money.

Peace,
Arief Budiwidayanto
	ariefbud@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu