Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What Kate Should Do

From: aj796@freenet.carleton.ca (Tippi Chai)
Date: Mon, 9 May 1994 03:57:54 GMT
Subject: Re: What Kate Should Do
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca

fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) says:

>If she wants to expand her fan base beyond a devoted following, she NEEDS
>to do, as Chris Williams has pointed out, pretty much what Tori Amos
>does, and that is "work the system".

But who sez that KaTe *wants* to expand her fandom at the expense of
"working the system"?  May She not be content with having only a small
following and keeping her own privacy?  You'll probably say "Who doesn't
want more money, more recognition?"  I'll offer myself as a
comparison.  I'm a self-employed software consultant/programmer,
and I only do work that I enjoy doing, sometimes goofing off for
a day doing other things.  As a result, I make "just enough".  Of course,
if I find a high-paying, steady job, (as my parents etc. would like me
to do), I can afford things like $10 CD singles which have only ONE song
that I don't already have.  But I consider that a "sell-out" and
would rather live a rather meager, but to me rewarding, life,
than do what my friends do - slaving away at their desks and counting
the days until their next vacation.  Some may say I'm an under-achiever.
But that is their judgement.  I don't *have* to be successful for anyone
but *myself*.

I realize that people only want KaTe to gain world-wide recognition and
appreciation.  I do too, but let's not say what she should do or *needs*
to do, as if she doesn't know.

Oh, and thanks for listening to my personal grudegs :-)
--
Tippi Chai, Toronto, ON, Canada             aj796@freenet.carleton.ca
"It's really happenin' to ya!" Kate Bush    "My past is warpaint" Happy Rhodes