Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why TRS Is Not A Success

From: afcpeters@aol.com (AFC PeterS)
Date: 4 May 1994 07:07:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Why TRS Is Not A Success
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

In article <Cp7sLw.Ht8@infi.net>, larryh@infi.net (Larry Hufstedler) writes:

> Oh sure, they will sell the CDs, wouldn't want to miss out on the
> bucks. But spend a million on Kate like they did Bruce Springsteen?
> No way. Better to save the promo bucks for some infantile psuedo
> psycho-babble band before the lead singer eats a drug overdose.

I hate to break this to you, but it's a *business*. Record companies have one
agenda: make money. It's the only agenda they ever had. More money will not be
spent on Kate Bush until she demonstrates that there would be a profit to be
made by doing so. She has a cult following, so she gets a cult budget. That
record companies can afford to risk launching and carrying the Kate Bushes of
the world is due largely to the profits they make from the Bruce Springsteens
and Nirvanas. Lets be thankful for hit artists; without them, record companies
would chuck it all and go into real estate.

Peter Stoller