Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What is the REAL Rubberband video?

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 11:43 CDT
Subject: Re: What is the REAL Rubberband video?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>I've got yet ANOTHER question...

   No problem, that's one of the reasons we are here (the other reason
is to reduce each other to cinders)...

>What is the real video for "Rubberband Girl?"  I've seen one on MTV U.S. where
>she is singing into a microphone and walking up and down a flight of steps and
>dancing with a man at certain points.

   The UK version (the *real* one in almost every case) features Kate
dancing in front of her band playing while standing up in a line. Her
dance moves are "mirrored" by a male dancer behind her, as if she was
bound to him with rubber bands. It is directly lifted from her film.

   But she committed the dreadful sin of not lip-syncing, and as
eMpTyVee has a very low opinion of the intelligence of it's audience
(Bevis and Butthead) they must figure that we cannot figure out that
it is supposed to be a music video if the artist isn't mouthing the
words.

   The US video is pretty obviously (well, obvious by Kate standards)
a parody (or "piss-take" in brit) of a typical US music video. See
also, _Love And Anger_.

>And - does the UK booklet for _The Red Shoes_  have pages like a book or does
>it fold out many times to show a big picture of Kate dancing w/ the man in the
>"Rubberband Girl" video?  I don't like the US fold out "booklet" because it
>feels cheap and I'm afraid of tearing it/having it fall apart over time.

   No, it's larger, but the same basic format. The lyrics are available
on the ftp.uwp.edu lyrics server, so the easiest route is to make your
own booklet. Any decent DTP or word processing program shoud be able
to do it.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)