Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who ya gonna call? CLOUDBUSTERS!

From: mk59200@proffa.cc.tut.fi (Markku Kolkka)
Date: 28 Apr 1994 16:22:26 GMT
Subject: Re: Who ya gonna call? CLOUDBUSTERS!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

    >> ... Wilhelm Reich was arrested ostensibly on charges of fraud
    >> because of the claims Reich made regarding the medical value of
    >> his orgone energy accumulators.  The government had all sorts
    >> of reasons for arresting him, or so they would claim.  I'd
    >> probably refer to him as an intellectual prisoner.
    > He made claims that orgone therapy cured cancer.  That was their
    > sole case against him.

I believe an important factor in the Reich case was that he was a
leading figure in the Communist parties of Austria and Germany in the
1920s. That kind of political background certainly didn't help him in
the 1950s USA.

Reich was expelled from the Communist Parties after he started
(correctly) criticizing Stalin for betraying the original ideas of
Marx and turning the USSR into a totalitarian dictatorship.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@cc.tut.fi