Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Happy Rhodes - Ladyslipper catalog

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 02:35:56 EDT
Subject: Happy Rhodes - Ladyslipper catalog
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: alt.music.alternative.female

I received the newest catalog from Ladyslipper today, and I have to
recommend this place. Since I get inquiries about Happy Rhodes and
I'm terrible at describing music, I thought I'd pass on what Ladyslipper
has to say about her. Info about Ladyslipper itself is at the end of
the post.

(posted without permission)

HAPPY RHODES
VOLUME I
Most debut releases are a bit tentative, and usually rightly so.  However,
this upstate New York native debuted herself into the music world with a
double cassette in 1986, obviously having no qualms about showing
herself-- and how thrilled we are that she's here!  Incredible voice, lots
of dramatic synthesizer, plus her earlier work such as this album is also
characterized by lovely acoustic interludes.  The artwork is an original
painting of something hungry-looking (out of Clive Barker's "Cabal"?).
Highly recommended (a comment you're going to be reading frequently among
the next few listings)! (AG007)

HAPPY RHODES
VOLUME II

If you haven't read the review of Volume I yet, please do so now , then
order them both.  In fact, read on, and get them all!  I promise you won't
regret it, unless the covers give you nightmares, or something (and if
they do, perhaps this is the time to check out that great therapist your
friends keep recommending).  Includes _Under and Over the Brink_, _One
Alien_, _ To the Funnyfarm_, _The Revelation_. (AG008)

HAPPY RHODES
REARMAMENT

More electronic than her first two releases, this 1986 recording contains
shades of early Kate Bush (most notably _Lionheart_):  Lovely ethereal
vocals, multi-layered melodies that reach right in and hook you, and wry,
quirky lyrics.  Her first 3 albums were released within the same year; all
we can assume is that she's been singing, songwriting and playing since
the early embryonic stages, given the high level of sophisticaiton and
all-around superb quality.  Also some stylistic references
to Cocteau Twins.  Love this artist, and each of her recordings! (AG0011)

HAPPY RHODES
ECTO

Happy has a voice which will be (exhaustively) compared to Kate Bush and
Annie Lennox's; there's just no way to avoid the comparisons, but her
visions are a bit darker, say in the gothic-apocalyptic vein - or, rather ,
lots of blood red roses and peeling wallpaper kind of moods.  Anyway, it's
just the greatest voice, and when she self-harmonizes, the result is just
heavenly!  The instrumentation is highly melodic and sometimes heavy
synth, with sprightly counterpoints - "complex and labyrinthine but at
the same time totally natural."  This 1987 release is her 4th; highly
recommended! (AG0013)

HAPPY RHODES
WARPAINT

This 1991 release, Happy's 5th (not bad for a mere babe of 26!) and most
polished to date, "drifts into the listener's psyche like urgently
whispered messages from the spirit world".  This self-confessed music
addict brings a fresh energy to our collection of electronic/experimental
music by  combining fly-on-the-wall observations of life and living with
an impressive array of electronic effects, plus a touch of haunting
European-ish violin.  The result is warmer than most synthesizer
recordings, mostly due to her voice, which remains primarily in the lower
registers here (Annie Lennox, is she yours?).  Her bold and beautiful
expression, vision and artistry account for her large cult following
which we predict you'll be joining as soon as you experience her.  Highly
recommended! (AG0017)

HAPPY RHODES
EQUIPOISE

Vampire, angels, symbionts, aliens - this visionary artist seems to
possess a multiplicity of perception; insights combined with prophecy,
like floating in water and looking both above and below the surface
at the same time - things get kinda wavery and never stop moving...
Musically, the mood on this 1993 release is very languid, with a
simpler musical structure (though still many multi-layered vocals)
than in her previous recordings. Sweet, melancholy rhythms spliced
with her amazing vocals - on several cuts she self-harmonizes in
extreme high and low registers, and you'll be constantly reminding
yourself that this isn't a Kate and Annie diet! We'll probably keep
highly recommending this artist for years to come...but we advise
you to check her out now! (AG0019)

HAPPY RHODES
RHODESONGS

This 1993 retrospective contains some tracks from previously released
albums; some from a radio-only CD called HR5, which features some
incredible acoustic versions of "Save Our Souls," "Feed The Fire,"
and Bowie's classic "Ashes To Ashes" plus a new one or two. If you're
not familiar with Happy Rhodes, this is a great way to experience the
breadth of her talent, and see what all the commotion's about; and if
you're a fan already, you'll just have to have it. (AG0021)

Ladyslipper is a not-for-profit distributor of music by women. All
genres/many eras are represented in their 86-page catalog.

Ladyslipper, Inc.
PO Box 3124-R
Durham, NC  27715

(800) 634-6044