Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate: The Motion Picture

From: bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 09:07:38 PST
Subject: Re: Kate: The Motion Picture
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Encoding: 1134 Text

In a recent posting, Steve Berlin writes:

>I got to see The Line, The Cross, & The Curve (Note the ampersand:  Whoever
>"corrected" me before was wrong - it definately has an "and" in it!) again.>
>Upon second viewing, some impressions:

>o  Boy, is the plot dumb.  Real dumb.
>o  Everyone except Kate (especially Miranda Richardson) looks like they're
   have a LOT of fun.

I think he's right, if you're comparing it to Gone With the Wind, or Michael
Powell's beautiful Red Shoes film. My impression is that TLTC&TC isn't supposed
to be taken that way.  It's presented as a fairy tale (which usually do have
dumb plots) and should be taken that way.  Kate has successfully captured the
fairy tale idiom and threaded a fairy tale plot between her songs.  I don't
think she ever meant it to be taken as a complete plot.

I agree that Kate doesn't look to be enjoying herself in the film.  IMO, she
looks like she's thinking.  Actually, this has been the impression I've had
about every Kate video I've seen to date.

I agree it should've been longer.

Ben Miller
bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com