Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Requesting. . . Jig of Life

From: afcpeters@aol.com (AFC PeterS)
Date: 26 Apr 1994 01:49:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Requesting. . . Jig of Life
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

In article <1994Apr24.185853.14938@k12.ucs.umass.edu>, asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu
(Albert Steg (Winsor School) writes:

> Once you get the picture, the whole side comes to life much more
> powerfully --many obscure lines make good literal sense.  Go have a
> close listen to "And Dream of Sheep" now, and you can understand
> that the "little light" is one of those tiny battery lights attached
> to live vests on planes or ships.

I also think this has a double-meaning. People who tell stories of near-death
experiences talk about being beckoned into a white light, and I think this
"little light" is both that and the light to which you refer. Note that when
this musical theme reprises, the line "little *light*" is replaced by "hello,
*Earth*," and Earth becomes the light that beckons...and so she returns.

Thanks for the "white horses" reference; that does help! In the interview Jeff
posted, there's obviously a lot she's not saying about some of these songs (and
just as well, too!). What she says about having worked so hard on the lyrics
and numerous small details shows well in an examination of TNW; it is an
extraordinarily intricate and well designed work, and I concur with Jeff that
it's my favorite KB album, though I will always hold The Dreaming near and
dear. :)

Peter Stoller