Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 7" Cathy Demos

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor School))
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 19:16:17 GMT
Subject: Re: 7" Cathy Demos
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, jorn@MCS.COM (Jorn Barger) says:

>In article <1994Apr17.012030.17390@k12.ucs.umass.edu>,
>Albert Steg (Winsor School <asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:
>>     A few years ago I picked up ("scooped up" would be more like
>>it) two 7" color vinyl pressings of the Cathy Demos that have been
>>so repetitively bootlegged of late.  These are nicely produced discs.
>>They feature some of those childhood photographs from the "Cathy"
>>book, and are "numbered" on the sleeve as a run of 600.  I have
>>the third and fifth volumes, the latter of which includes a track
>>called "Organic Acid," which I notice is not included on the bootleg
>>CD's that carry the other demo tracks.
>
>Be aware that when Kate was offered one of these to sign at Tower last
>fall, she refused, and when a caller asked her about OA on Modern Rock
>Live, she squirmed painfully.  Clearly, she really doesn't want these
>to be circulating (no matter how much we wish otherwise).

	Hmmm... it's an awkward balance trying to balance one's regard
for an artist's wishes with the fascination that those demo tracks
hold for us.  I doubt I'll be throwing these singles away any time soon,
but neither will I be reproducing them on the bootleg market.  I'm still
really curious about the bootleggers' decision to withhold OA from their
CD compilations.  Is this a case of pure, selfless consideration for
Kate?  This would surprise me, but I guess it's possible.
	It does surprise me that anyone knowledgeable enough about
Kate to have bought some of these demos would ask her to sign one of them.

					Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt