Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Requesting info. about KaTe songs

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor School))
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 23:32:06 GMT
Subject: Re: Requesting info. about KaTe songs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, jorn@mcs.com (Jorn Barger) says:

>>Babooshka
>
>An aging wife tests her husband's fidelity by seducing him, in
>disguise.  She confirms that it was *him* who failed *her*, not vice
>versa, for she can still fascinate him-- but he's craves change for
>change's sake.

	The basic storyline here seems clear enough, but it doesn't seem
to me that the song lays blame on the husband.  One of the things that
allures the man is "how she/ Reminds him of his little lady" the way
she was "before she freezed on him."  It's not so much that she's
something new, but that she introduces some of that romantic mystery that
is typical of a new romance, but gets lost over the long years. It
seems that it's been a long time since she bothered to send her husband any
"scented letters."  They both got lazy.
	I get the feeling that this masquerading plot has a pretty
long history ---isn't it a central device in "Der Fliedermous"(sp?)?
The upshot of these plots is never the destruction of a marriage, but
rather a rediscovery of youthful passion.  The plot is used in comedies,
not tragedies.  Isn't the tone of the song mischievous and delighted,
rather than bitter?  Isn't the chorus pure celebration?
	I suppose the song can be taken in a sorrowful way, but even then,
 I don't think Kate lays fault on either character.

-Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt