Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gaffa meet Milla

From: wchendri@rodan.syr.edu (William C. Hendricks)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 04:58:16 GMT
Subject: Gaffa meet Milla
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: netnews@newstand.syr.edu (Network News Administrator)

It is my understanding that rec.music.gaffa is open to discussion of not only
Kate Bush but also artists expected to be of interest to those who appreciate
whatever genre of music she belongs to (sophisticated female vocal perhaps).

Personally I have not been impressed by any other of the popular artists
mentioned (at least among Tori Amos and Happy Rhodes) in fact my taste in
music outside of Kate Bush tends toward jazz and unusual rock bands like
King Crimson and Captain Beefheart.

Nevertheless, upon reading a favorable review in Rolling Stone magazine,
I was inspired to purchase Milla _The Divine Comedy_.

This is the first album by Russian-born Milla Jovovich. She is 18 years old,
and not only is this a very good and mature album, but she seems to hold
incredible potential.

The lyrics are quite intelligent as well as fun. She comes across as very
warm, like a close friend, while she poetically expresses her perspective of
people and the world today. The way she sings is very beautiful and creative.
I just really dig what she's singing (and how she sings it) in songs like
"The Alien Song" and "Ruby Lane".

The music has both good and bad qualities. Many different instruments are used
on each song - percussion, mandolin, violin, flute, etc. - which is good!
But the way it is produced borders on too poppy. It definitely has a Kate Bush
influence, including some rather psychedelic sound effects.

I believe most Kate Bush fans would enjoy this.

-bill charles

music