Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: 8 Mar 94 19:39:09 CST (Tue)
Subject: Re: TRS Peeve & Cocteau Twins Review
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa@netcom.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Mike Gallaher writes:

>	Elizabeth Frazer was something of a disappointment.  Although
>they selected from their repertoire many songs that feature a prominent
>single vocal line, virtually all suffered from the absence of her multi-
>layered vocals.  Most of them simply didn't work with a solo vocalist.
>The show would have been far better had the group hired some Frazeresque
>backup singers.  The effect was exacerbated by a Liz Frazer who was
>obviously not at her best that night.  [Liz's screwups deleted]...

Liz seized up so bad on the _HoLV_ show I saw that I skipped them this
time around.  One person who went said that it was just like the last
time, awful vocals, while another person (same show) thought she was
great.  I get the impression that she's _very_ nervous and has definite
good/bad nights.  I've seen just enough glowing reviews to make me think
that _some_ CT shows might be very good.

>	Another problem is that the band showed absolutely no rapport
>with the audience.  It might as well have been an empty theater as far
>as they were concerned.  No words to the crowd, nothing.  The closest they
>came to acknowledging our existance was when someone dropped a bouquet
>on stage.  Frazer looked down, seemed a bit embarassed, smiled a bit, and
>carried on.

This does seem odd, especially since they make a point of playing venues
where the audience can't sit down and has to stand and face the band.  I
really wonder if they are pushed into touring by their label.

>Frazer was not as attractive as she is in publicity
>photos (I know, it's sexist,

And just plain irrelevant.

>but you can't deny that a performer's look can enhance the experience).

If you can't get past the level of superficial physical attractiveness,
that's your problem, not hers.  Just close your eyes and fantasize about
an old Whitesnake video or something, OK?

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com