Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ***SEMPSY*** <cmh205@cck.coventry.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 94 09:56:52 GMT
To: Love-Hounds <Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

TORI  AMOS ---UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK ARTS CENTRE,25TH FEB 1994.
	The support act were known as 'The Divine Comedy' and came on for
about 1/2 a hour.To be fair I've heard a lot worse, but they weren't helped
by a dodgy amp.
	The merchandising was the only complaint I had about the night.There
was at-shirt for #14 with a trail of honey on the front, and 'Under the pink
tour 1994' on the back.Another t-shirt with long sleeves was available in grey
for #18, it had a reproduction of the limited edition sleeve for Cornflake
girl on the back and on the front it had tori on her own without the light
bulbs,bird eggs etc.No programmes or badges were produced at all, although an
old poster of 'Winter' was available for #4
	Tori came on stage at about 9.15 pm to the sound of "Rollin',rollin'
rollin',keep those wheels rollin",very strange!The concert revolved around
Tori and her piano.
	She started off with her cover version of 'Feels like teen spirit',
which sounded great with just a piano to accompany her voice.Before the
applause had died down she went straight into 'Crucify',where she gave the
piano keys a real battering!Before she palyed 'Icicle',Tori relayed a story
about the song's meaning.Apparently its revenge at her Grandmother,who thought
you should always be a 'good virgin' and 'save your virginity as a gift for
your husband'.Tori certainly had a good sense of humour and showed it when she
had the chance.Anyway Tori had told the cornflake girl about masturbating at
Sunday school,but she told Tori's dad.'It was a wicked thing to do' she was
told by her Father,but 'I enjoyed it' replied a gleeful Tori.'Icicle' was
followed by 'Precious things','Happy Phantom','The waitress' and 'Leather',all
highly enjoyable.Tori then explained about a letter she'd received from 'Greg
up North'.In this letter he'd written about things she could've become but
didn't, and he'd enclosed a drawing of himself in pencil.Tori kept it at her
piano for many months because somehow it reminded her of herself.She then
preceded to play 'Pretty good Year' as a reply to 'Winter' where she was
asked '..when you gonna to love you as much as I do..'.This was followed by
'god' which tori reminded us that she really 'got off' on that song!The
biggest applause of the night accompanied the opening notes of 'Silent All
These Years', one of the highlights definitely.This was followed by 'Past
The mission','Winter','Space dog' then 'Bells For Her'.'Bells For her' was
the first time where she didn't use the piano, she used some organ to get the
bells effect.The most emotional moment of the night was saved for 'Me and a
gun',it was no surprise to me that you could literally hear a pin drop at
the end.Tori finished off with 'Baker Baker' after which she left the stage
with her bottle of water to tremendous applause.She returned for her first
encore a minute or so later, where she played 'Cornflake Girl' and 'China',
certainly the best moment of the night for me.Again she left the stage to
return for a second encore.Somebody in the crowd shouted out 'dick',tori
replied with some rather rude hand signals and then held her thumbs aloft to
the rest of the crowd.Then she played 'Tear In Your Hand' and finally 'Cloud
On my Tongue'.All in all Tori was on stage by herself for around a hour and
three quarters,the crowd of maybe 1000 to 1500 really let Tori know of their
appreciation.
	My advice to anyone is to go and see Tori if you get the chance,you
won't be disapponted!
    Andy Semple
Tori: 'Hello,this is only my second date,heh only 246 to go!!!'