Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

blasphemy indeed

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 19:55:28 PST
Subject: blasphemy indeed
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Douglas MacGowan writes:

 > After watching Love-Hounds for awhile and reading reviews of TRS
 > in various magazines, I have to admit I am a little confused.  A
 > lot of people and reviewers single out the track "Big Stripey Lie"
 > as being one of the best, and I find it unlistenable, frankly.  I
 > am not sure what I am missing, but in my opinion, it is the
 > single worst track Kate has ever done.  After I read somebody
 > raving about it, I go back and listen to it again, and it still
 > is like fingernails on a chalkboard, only magnified.

I can't remember the details of the mini-review of BSL I
distributed on another list, but to me BSL is a perfect tiny
package of the emotions of anger, defiance, and betrayal.  I
don't have a neat analysis of its structure and intent like
others that have been posted here, but to me the song is a bit of
glorious gleeful insanity.  It's supposed to annoy you, because
it's supposed to make you feel at least a little bit angry and
vengeful.

Perhaps you need to listen a few hundred more times.  Or if you
listen loud enough it will rearrange your neuronal structure
enough to bring you the englightenment you need.

 > I have been a KaTe Fanatic since 1981, and have applauded all of
 > her new directions in the artistic musical realm.  I have no
 > aversion to her more peculiar cuts - I play "The Dreaming"
 > album loud, as instructed, and think it is the best album she
 > has ever done.  I let the musical weirdness in.

This is encouraging.  Accept BSL into your heart, no matter how
much it grates on you.  Learn to accept the discordant emotions.
Go out and play with automatic weapons and high explosives for a
while.  Napalm something (or someone).  Play BSL over and over
while you do these things.

 > I just find "Big Stripey Lie" a vacuum of intent and production,
 > but I have to wonder if I am missing something - I can't believe
 > that all the people who find the song a gem can be wrong.

You're missing something.  We're not wrong, you are.