Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Blasphemy

From: macgowan@hildegard.saicmp.com (Douglas Macgowan)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 08:35:19 PST
Subject: Blasphemy
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

After watching Love-Hounds for awhile and reading reviews of TRS
in various magazines, I have to admit I am a little confused.  A
lot of people and reviewers single out the track "Big Stripey Lie"
as being one of the best, and I find it unlistenable, frankly.  I
am not sure what I am missing, but in my opinion, it is the
single worst track Kate has ever done.  After I read somebody
raving about it, I go back and listen to it again, and it still
is like fingernails on a chalkboard, only magnified.

I have been a KaTe Fanatic since 1981, and have applauded all of
her new directions in the artistic musical realm.  I have no
aversion to her more peculiar cuts - I play "The Dreaming"
album loud, as instructed, and think it is the best album she
has ever done.  I let the musical weirdness in.

I just find "Big Stripey Lie" a vacuum of intent and production,
but I have to wonder if I am missing something - I can't believe
that all the people who find the song a gem can be wrong.

- Douglas MacGowan