Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Who Cares About Commercial Success?

From: rjc@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 03:14:15 GMT
Subject: Who Cares About Commercial Success?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

In article <Pine.3.05.9402171809.B16686-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>, Fiona McQuarrie (fm) writes:

fm> Let me pose you some questions, disbelievers.

ok.

fm> If Kate's records do not sell well, do you think she is going to get
fm> continued support (i.e. $$$) from the record cos. to keep doing
fm> what she is doing?

Well, it seems to me she's probably mor einterested in pounds than
dillars :-).

fm> Do you want her work to be widely distributed and
fm> easily accessible, or do you want her work to be available only in
fm> small stores and/or by mail order, with little possibility of it
fm> gaining a wider audience?

A wider audience seems irrelevant to me. However, it has to be said
that she could be mushc less comercial than she is and still be easily
available.

fm> So let's not be too hasty about not giving a rat's ass about commercial
fm> success. Commercial success ensures that Kate can keep working and that
fm> all of us can get our greedy little hands on her products ;)

Of course, the picture may be different from the US, but from here
KaTe is nicely on the border. Sucessful enough that her albums hit the
charts and so are available relatively cheaply, but not so sucessful
that she is under pressure to keep turining out the same old stuff
every year.

--
rjc@cogsci.ed.ac.uk			_O_