Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Columbia Record Club gets weird . . .

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 17:58:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Columbia Record Club gets weird . . .
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I hate to say I told you so, but I wan't just being catty when I accused
Tori Amos of engaging in frottage with her piano bench . . . . the
Columbia Record Club, not known for astute selection of monthly specials,
has (yawn) selected the predictably safe mega-hit of Pearl Jam's to adorn
the putridly printed cover page of their latest offering.

However, page 7 contains their first advertisement for TRS, also putridly
printed in poor resolution and purple ink.  The text of the ad reads:

"The Red Shoes.  Dance on, Lovehounds! (sic) Kate's back with her first
new album in four years.  This time around, her unique alternative music
is inspired by Michael Powell, director of the classic film from which
this album takes its name.  The set also serves as a soundtrack to a film
Kate has directed and stars in (with <Miranda Richardson> & <Lindsay Kemp>)."

This is at least the second ad I've seen originating at Columbia that is
focused on the movie.  I doubt if they would use it as a marketing tool
unless they hoped to generate enough interest in it to sell videos.

WHY they didn't have the great good sense to make Kate the featured
artist only their hairdressers know for sure.

Karen Newcombe  kln@crl.com