Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: buck@satyr.sylvan.com (Michael Butler)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 18:44 PST
To: rec-music-gaffa@apple.com

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: buck@satyr.sylvan.com (Michael Butler)
Subject: Re: The Song of Solomon (was: Sex and the single symbol)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 1994 02:43:58 GMT

|>oug asks:
>Does anyone know what the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley
>are?

Sharon is/was a fertile coastal area in Palestine.  They both strike me
as literary-scriptural sweet talk, but I'm not coming up with a referent
at present.  Damned cold medication  ;)

>  Who are Isolde and Marion, and how do they relate to the song?

Just literary allusions, again: Isolde I know (the lover of
Tristan/Tristram; she is also called Iseult).  Marion I suspect is
Maid Marion (inamorata of Robin Hood), but I'm not 100% sure of it.

The story of Tristram and Iseult is part of the Arthurian Romance--
she was the daughter of King Angush of Ireland who became the wife of
King Mark of Cornwall.  But she and Tristram met and fell in love.
*Boom*  Insert complicated, passionate love affair...