Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What Kate is listening to

From: kuyper@iplan.co.za (Kuyper Hoffman)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 12:27:18 +0200 (EET)
Subject: Re: What Kate is listening to
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

From: buck@satyr.sylvan.com (Michael Butler) Writes:
That I wrote:
> >Frankly, I'm surprised she chose Zappa at all!  Heck, most of his
> >stuff is pretty bizarre, not to mention rude (Dyna Mo Hum - or is
> >that on Apostrophe - my copy is a double-on-one-disc) - and I
> >thought KaTe was such a sweet, innocent thing :->
>
> "Most of his stuff"?  Meaning no offense, but how much of his stuff do
> you know?  The only generalization *I* can make about "most of Frank

OK, head hung humbly! Not much I'm afraid, I only _own_ Overnite and
Apostrophe, and I've heard most of Joe's Garage (on order) and
whatever the radio station plays when they're feeling brave.  Last
year one of the best DJ's on South African rock radio was "let go"
for not playing enough commercial and play-listed stuff.  On his
last 2 shows he went ape and played all the things that would have
_really_ gotten him sacked previously.  Amongst other equally
unusual stuff, he played Dyna.  I once got "tricked" into playing
that on a Campus station once, having never heard it.  Well, I soon
had some (no offence here either:) feminists banging down the studio
door looking for my blood.  That's essentially been the Zappa I've
been exposed to, I kinda assumed the rest was in the same line.

> Zappa's stuff" is that it is _hard to play_. He and the folks he
> worked with were capable of incredible discipline when it came to
> "putting the eyebrows on" a performance.

I did not mean to imply anything _negative_ about his musicianship.

> >Well, I enjoy Overnite too, so there!
>
> Good.  What do you think of the "Shut Up 'N' Play Your Guitar" series?

Not heard it, sorry :-(

I guess I'll have to be more careful in the future.  If it's any
excuse, I was on medication when I wrote the original post :-)

Kuyper
--
|          Kuyper Hoffman               |  This signature contains:        |
|        kuyper@iplan.co.za             |  carbonated water, citric acid,  |