Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: RBG CD, and Chris Williams..

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 94 12:47 CST
Subject: Re: RBG CD, and Chris Williams..
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I wrote:
>>   Actually, *Kate* wanted to promote the film, the record company
>>wanted to promote the album. Columbia exhibited zero interest in showing
>>the film now that Kate is back in the UK. I called the squid in charge
>>of arranging showings, and he told me that all showing were canceled,
>>and that they weren't even sure that they would even release it on tape.

and Charles replied:
>WHAT, ARE THEY NUTS??! I find it very annoying that the people at Columbia
>seem to have no idea what Kate's fan base is like, or what to do about
>promoting her. I am sure there are loads of Kate fans who would
>IMMEDIATELY go out and but a copy of the TLTCTC video the instant it hit the
>shelves. I think the film would draw a lot of interest in theatrical
>release, also. Is there someone we can all contact at Columbia to let them
>know that there are people out here who are ***DYING*** to see the film???!!!

   Kate has a contract with Columbia in the US to do one thing - produce
albums. She is obligated to participate in promotion - interviews,
videos and the occasional in store signing. She is not under contract to
Columbia as a filmmaker, and they haven't the faintest idea of what to
do with a film. Yes, Columbia is both a record company and a film
studio, but the two are barely connected, and only at the top.
   Record companies have *never* known what to do with films produced
by musicians. Neal Young's "Human Highway," Pete Townsends "The Iron
Man," Bob Dylan's "Renaldo and Clara." Unless the artist has enough
personal clout to get the film shown, a la Paul McCartney's "Give My
Regards To Broad Street" it will never get shown. I'd like someone
to show me a musician-produced film that the record company really
pushed. History does not hold much hope.

   (After writing the above two exceptions came to me - Laurie Anderson
and Devo, but the were well established as filmmakers before ever
getting signed to recording contracts.)

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)