Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RFC: Mosaic Interface to Lovehounds

From: Richard J Frost <rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 94 11:16:08 +1000
Subject: RFC: Mosaic Interface to Lovehounds
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

I have been working with Mosaic lately and I thought it would be
an excellent interface to the veritable plethora of information
on Kate Bush gleaned by so many dedicated fans over the years.

For those of you who are not aware of Mosaic, its a hypermedia
graphical front end to the World Wide Web.

To access WWW you need to have access to an account that is
directly connected to the net (ie one from which you can
ftp, telnet etc.) interfaces are available for Windows and
Macintosh, X windows and standard text terminals (no graphics
sound or fonts tho).

In short, Mosaic is a hypermedia browser, that uses a hypertext
like interface. The great thing is that for the first time people
can browse elegantly presented documents (large fonts, embedded
images, mpeg movies, sounds etc) all from *one* simple to use
interface without having to wrestle with FTP, TELNET etc. Plus
you only need to remember one address of the Kate Bush home
page, from there you could be browsing Kate databases from
all over The Net just by clicking!

I suggest we look at putting the FAQ on Mosaic first along with
a broswer of scanned images on ftp.uwp.edu. Further down the]
track we could include Ron Hill's Cloudbusting project and
"The Garden" project.

We could have an album section that has postage stamp size
scanned images of every album she has done accompanied with
a description of the contents of the album.

There could be a section for submissions of T shirt designs,
Homeground newsflashes, tour dates, Tori Amos & Happy Rhodes
sections etc, estimates of the number of Love-hound readers
etc etc.

Ths list goes on!

The great thing is that you can immediately get the information
YOU want without sifting through stuff that does not
interest you.

Anyone have any further ideas?

How many love-hounds have full TCP access to run Mosaic?

I think the FAQ, AT LEAST, should be converted to trial this idea.

PS.
    I'll post an update on the T shirt situation soon.

    (Eric France, are you still involved with the T shirt thing?)

--
   .------.   Richard Frost                   _--_|\             .------.
(}/`HI  hi|   rfrost@jrc.flinders.edu.au     /      \ Adelaide   |HI  hi'\{)