Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TWW box vs. 7" singles

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 13:55:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: TWW box vs. 7" singles
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

If one hopes to have less expense by purchasing a complete collection of
7" singles rather than the box, you should know that many of the singles
are rare, and the total cost of all of them, even assuming you could find
them, could be two or three times the cost of the TWW box.

Besides, the sound quality of the B-sides CDs is far superior to that of
7" that are often scratched or were poorly pressed to start with and
sound blurry.

As a hardcore collector who has found most of the 7" singles over the
years, I would have to say that I've bought them more for the cover art
and as collectible items than I have to listen to them.

Also, I found a substantial difference (please don't anyone pick up on
this as a discussion item - it been done) between the UK CDs and the US
CDs with regards to quality of sound.

My recommendation is to spend the cash and get TWW box (make sure you get
one with the book) and go on to collecting the 7" singles if you feel an
uncontrollable, compelling urge to spend a substantial part of your free
time and disposable income in used record stores.

Not that you asked my advice . . . tee hee hee

Karen Newcombe  kln@crl.com  Currently missing only the rarest of the
rare from my 7" collection.  And in the market for a copy of CATHY should
anyone be selling.