Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Silly Kate covers

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (WretchAwry)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1993 03:58:05 -0500
Subject: Silly Kate covers
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Peter Gabriel..Tori Amos..

Our friend Mike sent us this. It was in a LA zine called
"The Altered Mind #11" (it's old...June 1992, so perhaps
it's been mentioned before. I don't remember.)

BIG CITY ORCHESTRA
"Our Life in the Bush of Kate"
(A Collection of Kate Bush covers)

   BCO has the nerve to send us another despite the poor review
we gave the last one, and I am very happy to have this much
more impressive tape.  Though BCO know how to be extremely
alienating and inaccessible, this tape is neither.  All the
pieces have some form of speech on them, which helps add a
human dimension to the post-music which often sounds machine
generated.  Generally, BCO manipulate the music and vocals
of Ms. Bush's songs, sometimes adding their own music and
other sounds.  For some of the remakes, BCO have supplied a
male vocalist who speaks Ms. Bush's once-soprano offerings
in a low monotone or silly falsetto.  On "Oh, England, My
Concrete Block," perhaps the most involving piece, BCO take
Kate Bush interview excerpts and feeds them through a few
of their machines.  The result is a female voice speaking
nonsense and accompanied by about six echoes.  Finally, in
the last seconds, BCO preserve an entire coherent phrase
and allow it to sum up the song.  No one is saying this is
music, but it certainly has merit as an art form somewhere
between spoken word and white noise.  For anyone interested
in audio experimentation, BCO is a name to rememeber.

For a copy, send either $5.00 or a tape of answering machine
messages (for use in BCO projects) to:

ubuibi, 120 21st Ave., San Francisco, CA  94121

(Here's the address/info of the zine. I don't know if it's still around)

The Altered Mind
P.O Box 1083
Claremont, CA  91711-1083
(714) 949-9531
Progidy ID- CSBM05E

Drukman, you have anything to do with this? :-)

Vickie