Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-55 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who do the Angels work for?

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1993 11:58:17 -0500
Subject: Re: Who do the Angels work for?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0pFEtx-0002B6C@grex.cyberspace.org> robh@cyberspace.org
(Robert Henderson) writes:

>   |>oug, I hate to be a party-pooper, but this is getting into the
>   realm of the not-at-all-Kate-related.  A discussion of the Golden
>   Dawn, its origins, and its descendants would take many hundreds of
>   pages.  Could we take this to e-mail?

I think it would be completely appropriate for someone to post a one
or two page description of the main tenets of Golden Dawn as it
relates to the song "Lily".  Certainly hundreds of pages, or even
dozens of pages would be out of place here, but a few pages would be
an appropriate background for deeper understanding of the song.

I say this as one who considers "Lily" as primarily a work of fiction,
as I do Judaism and Christianity, much less Golden Dawn.  When I enjoy
a work of fiction, however, I want to understand the background and
the symbolism used.  This, for example, is why a book such as *The
Annotated Alice* is such a pleasure to read.  Much of *Alice in
Wonderland* and *Alice Through the Looking Glass* is lost on the
contemporary reader without such annotations.  Similarly, much of
"Lily" is likely to be lost on those who have no knowledge about the
religious symbols that Kate invokes.  With a bit of cooperation from
those who Believe and those who do not, we may be able to put together
"The Annotated Lilly".

It may be presumptuous of me to say so, but I am sure that Peter
Manchester will concur, as would IED (if her were still around) and
any KB fan with an academic mind-set.

|>oug
   <nessus@mit.edu>

"Dec 31 -- In a development that deeply disturbs the international
   community, the Chicago Tribune reports that the Chinese have agreed
   to sell nuclear weapons to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
   Firearms. We do not wish to create panic, but this news comes only
   hours before the scheduled broadcast of the end-of-the-world
   episode of 'Beavis and Butthead.' It's best not to think about it."